Thursday, May 29, 2008

Beautiful late afternoon on American Tobacco lawn

A friend emailed me midday to meet on the lawn at American Tobacco at 6pm and take in a beer and some music, so I did. This was "The Back Porch Music, On the Lawn at American Tobacco Concert Series" and the musician was Darrell Scott, who truly had some great tunes. The one I liked the most was Shattered Cross:
YOU DON’T MESS AROUND WITH A MAN IN BLACK
YOU’LL SAY SOMETHING WRONG THAT YOU CAN’T TAKE BACK
YOU’LL GO FOR A RIDE IN HIS AUTOMOBILE
TO A SPOT IN THE WOODS JUST OVER THE HILL
NO, YOU DON’T MESS AROUND WITH A MAN IN BLACK
The AmTob lawn was as crowded as I've ever seen it, full of all ages, all colors, and every stripe and spot--as I've come to love about Durham. It started out sunny, but the long shadows overtook the lawn as the sun set. The water flowing by made it all very tranquil and everyone, even the little ones, seemed to be enjoying the music. One little girl nearby must've done at least 100 cartwheels showing off for her dad, who was lounging on a blanket listening to the music. Lots of people snagged take out food from surrounding eateries, making themselves an impromptu picnic.

Have I mentioned there is always something fun to do in Durham?

The stage under the Lucky Strike tower:


The stage, the lawn, the "river":


Darrell Scott:

Fountain:


Upcoming afternoons of music (click to make larger):

2 comments:

Jamie said...

A must do for me and the kidlet this summer! I love Dave Wilcox, so we'll try to make it. Thanks for reminding me of this great summer activity!

Anonymous said...

Wow. That really is the most crowded I've ever seen that lawn.