Monday, April 7, 2008

First time making sushi

A few pieces of our homemade sushi.

Over the weekend, I was lucky enough to be invited over to hang out and make sushi with some friends. My pals had made it only a few times before themselves, but I'd never had the experience. Thanks to them for pulling all the ingredients together and making the rice just perfectly.

Our ingredients were: cucumbers, carrots, cream cheese, avocado smoked salmon, crab sticks, roe, sushi rice, nori (thin, dried seaweed sheets), asparagus, natto (fermented soybeans), pickled ginger, wasabi.

There are a lot of places to learn to make sushi on the internet, one great one being How To Make Sushi. Instead I'll show you what we did and how it looked. It was much easier than I thought and very fun to do.

Some prep work first, including cutting the veggies and making the rice:



Next lay out a sheet nori and spread the sticky sushi rice over about 3/4 of the nori, along with strips of whatever other ingredients you want in the roll:



Continue to roll the nori tightly.



This one was sticking out its tongue (it was a strip of salmon):



Cut the roll into pieces:


Take turns making and cutting rolls and having a great time together until you get this:



Then enjoy a tasty and pretty dinner with friends.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started making sushi about 20 years ago, although I don't do it very often. Your rolls look a lot nicer than mine usually turn out - I'm a bit of a clutz. ;) Good idea with the asparagus. I'll have to try that sometime.

Jessica said...

Very impressive, and the photos are wonderful - makes me feel like I could do it too. Maybe I'll venture that way one day...

Chef Shirle' said...

The sushi looks great!

Maybe I will make some this weekend since you have inspired me.

Thanks!
Chef Shirle'