Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Bull Pen Lounge

Some friends and I found ourselves downtown after 6 pm on Sunday, having just seen Milk (yes, it's as good as all the reviews say) at The Carolina. We wanted to grab some coffee and sit a bit and talk about the film before we all went our separate ways for the evening. Blue Coffee was closed and every place else seemed to be too. So we headed over to the Marriott, which is conveniently hooked onto The Carolina Theater upstairs --I always forget about that--to see if the Marriott's "Bull Pen Lounge" was open. It was. I honestly couldn't remember the last time I'd been there.

The coffee wasn't bad, and we tried some desserts on the menu, and relaxed and dissected the film we just watched. The service at the Bull Pen was fine, although our server was wearing latex gloves, which was odd. We weren't rushed and the place wasn't busy on a Sunday night anyway. Here's what desserts we tried, and they were fairly tasty (but for the completely out-of-season 'fresh' strawberries which tasted faintly of strawberry):

Cheesecake


Creme Brulee

Strawberry Shortcake


3 comments:

Marsosudiro said...

Brilliant suggestion!

It's so easy for us locals to forget the hotel restaurants. Mind you, they're usually worth forgetting. But if we go and if we ask for things, we might eventually get them.

I now have an office on the 100 block of E. Chapel Hill St. I will soon lunch at the Marriott. Hey, and you might even be free to join me!

Anonymous said...

DBP:

Maybe you should blog from the Bull Pen Lounge...they might comp you some dessert for the publicity!

Anonymous said...

I have had more chicken tenders from there, between movies at Nevermore, than I can possibly count. I have always been grateful for their easy access, especially back when everything would ice over during the winter film festivals.