Saturday, September 13, 2008

Five Points Cafe open (for real real)

When I was downtown this afternoon I noticed Five Points Cafe (at 347 W. Main, beside Toast) was open and customers were enjoying food and beverages inside. This may have happened yesterday or last week or ?? I haven't been keeping close tabs on it, really, but it has opened and closed once or twice in the process of getting really and truly open-as I hope they are now. Going for something easy, I ordered a coffee to go and it was tasty. No Splenda packets yet, but I'm not one to quibble about the little stuff. I had my camera so I asked if I could take a couple of pictures (the lady at the counter was quite nice about the request albeit perplexed), so here you go. I asked for the menu, but was directed to the green chalk board, so I snapped a pic of it (you can double click it to make it large enough to read).








I also met a nice fellow from Democracy Durham inside, so a big shout-out to him!

4 comments:

Lenore said...

Thanks for sharing the pics! It's nice to see what the seating arrangements are like.

Anonymous said...

If the fellow from Democracy Durham that you met is the guy visible in your last picture, you have met the man behind the fiasco that has been Five Points Cafe. I would like a place like this to thrive, however I am afraid that your Splenda experience is a symptom of the never-quite-gets-it-together disorganization and mismanagement that has been the only consistent quality about this place.

I hope he can prove me wrong this time around, but I doubt it.

Anonymous said...

What happened to the whole FM Bistro Idea and all the art that was up in the cafe at one point?

k~e~h said...

Hey there, this is the former asst mngr for Five Points Cafe. The owner was scaterbrained and changed the plans on things often. We actually did better when he was NOT present. He was taken the money we worked so hard to earn every day and drinking it away. When he closed the place down. He informed us we wouldn't be paid another cent of our wages, (we were only paid twice a month and he held back a week so this REALLY hurt),and that he had put all of his assets in his wife's and mother's name so none of us or the bill collectors could get anything. His exact words, "Go ahead and sue me, you can't get blood out of a turnip".
I hope the city of Durham NEVER gives this man another lisice to operate a bussiness. No ethics, and severe lack of morals there.