Sunday, July 13, 2008

Fairy Rings

IF YOU SEE A FAERY RING

If you see a faery ring
In a field of grass,
Very lightly step around,
Tip-toe as you pass,
Last night faeries frolicked there-
And they're sleeping somewhere near.
If you see a tiny faery,
Lying fast asleep
Shut your eyes
And run away,
Do not stay to peek!
Do not tell
Or you'll break a faery spell.

~ William Shakespeare

A block or so away from my house I saw a burgeoning Fairy Ring, but alas no "tiny faery" as Shakespeare suggested I might see. I've always been fascinated by Fairy Rings, so I had to go back and get a better look and maybe a picture or two. Not sure what kind of mushroom this is specificially, however, because many different kinds of mushrooms can populate a Fairy Ring.




It's quite possibly a Scotch Bonnet 'shroom from the looks of it though. Edited to add: Don't ever eat mushrooms unless you are 100% positive what they are--and then double-check that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks to me more like the highly-poisonous http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorophyllum_molybdites - so I wouldn't go eatin' em. ;)

Durham Bull Pen said...

etselec! You are very probably right. And I added a caution about that after seeing your comment. It didn't occur to me that people would eat mushrooms without knowing 100% their identity. Especially ones that mysteriously cropped up in their yards.

Thanks for the information. :)